20/07/2015

Ghost Doomrider

I was talking about bikes last week. White floating bikes. well, I'll be talking about bikes today too but... with a twist.


A friend of mine gave me away the Doomrider mini. Do you recall that one? The Slaaneshi biker:

Put that on a bike

 

Well, don't wanna hurt my pal's feelings, but in my opinion this happens to be one of the ugliest minis of all times. Never got the point of this one, to be honest. A kind of tribute to Ghost Rider, I guess, but in a power armour. I needed to do something about it. There are some cool conversions over the net, but what I really wanted was not to overdo the mini, but just the opposite, getting it back to the origins. If this was going to be Ghost Rider meets WH40K, well, let that happen...

Aaagh! My helmet! My maaaask!

First thing to do was removing that awful head. I didn't have a spare full-skull (only jawless skulls), but thanks to the magic of Oyumaru you can see I managed something. Of course the copy is quite rough, but I don't care, that will help when I begin to add flames.
 
I mean these flames

Of course the sword would have to go away too. I replaced it with an Ork chain from the bikerz set:
 
This guy is on fire!

So this was it! When approaching the paintjob itself, I also tried to stick to the Ghost Rider concept, i.e., using only black and metal, with a few concessions to other colours as the model required them (the brass on the bike and the glowing blue for the souls of the damned).
 
The casting for Mad Max is over here?

I think I should have removed more spikes and should have sculpted flames for the wheels. But for the moment it serves its purpose...
 
Born to be wiii-iiiiild!

Take that, Nicolas Cage!

Another standalone mini. I don't have a clue of what use I'm going to give this fellow, I guess I'll have to come up with some kind of scenario for him...

16 comments:

  1. You had me worried for a time here I have to say until I read it was one of the most ugly models of all times for you too... For me, it even beats Nagash which says a lot.
    Your interpretation is excellent and though th econversio requires some solid sculpting, it's mainly a headchange and a clever paintjob that turn this into a delightful miniature.
    That's the kind of jobs I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I could see you sweating! You're right, this infamous mini got me confused when released, I never had intention of getting one. But when it was kindly delivered to me, I begun to see the potential it had. The change has no mistery, as you pointed out, just a couple of touches here and there. Thank you, glad you like it!!

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the conversion! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once I managed to remove the head everything turned easier! :P
      It's not a complicated or elaborate work, I tend to keep things simple!

      Delete
  3. Well done, very characterful bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd like to believe this is the real tribute GW had in mind and didn't dare to perform back in the day!

      Delete
  4. Nicholas Cage would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D :D
      How would he look like inside that power armour?

      Delete
  5. Great stuff - I agree with Asslessman, I was worried until you said you hated the model :) It was one awful model when released and still is one of the worst.

    Great conversion though.

    W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you! Yup, I knew I had to do something about that! I hope it doesn't look worse now!

      Delete
  6. Good call on the replacing the sword with the chain. A good final job too Suber. :) To be honest I don't know why you call this model ugly. But then again, I have not seen the original painted up. All I have to go on is the unpainted separate pieces on the fist photo. So I will take your word for it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It may be a personal taste, but I'll let you judge; a quick internet search just provided me this:
      http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Doomrider

      For me the whole head, the lack of neck, the hieratic attitude of the whole mini and its overdone general aspect really turned me down. That's what took me to this endeavour!!

      Delete
  7. A definite improvement on the original and a great final result. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still may redo some aspects, I mean, removing some more spikes, adding flames to the wheels, repainting the skull & flames... But for the moment I consider it done!

      Delete
  8. wow!! really nice!!!
    I'm gonna show my friend that has chaos bikes! XD

    ReplyDelete