19/04/2018

Space Sharks realscale Librarian

Though the title may be quite self explanatory, I'll yet try to surprise you. A few weeks ago I got to show the Space Sharks Captain and told you about my plan of mustering a realscale force.

Now it is time to show my evil plan, or at least part of it. You may be familiar with this mini...
Pic shamelessly stolen from Lexicanum

I forgot to take a pic from my own original model, ooops. Well, the thing is, here we have a Space Marine in Terminator Armour... You see where I am going here?

This one indeed is my model
Right, you might have seen several conversions of the Space Hulk minis, but I sincerely hope you have never seen what I am about to do with them :D
I pretend to use the Space Hulk terminators as realscale marines. Given the baroque ornamentation of all of them, I hope I can make a Veteran squad out of these minis, as well as some characters. So I'm starting with the Librarian, as I think it will be the easiest of all the bunch.

In the pic above you can see what I'm doing, cutting out the back structure, but leaving the rest more or less untouched. Then I need some rebuilding work with greenstuff...

I lowered the arms to give him a human silhouette and placed the book on the backpack

So the conversion is rather simple, you see. As said before, that is why I chose this model, to try the basics and see where the limits are. He looks like this when painted...


Hey! What happened to the stairs?

Why do I look like I'm dancing?

Some decisions I made. I'm replacing ordinary bases for flat ones (by Renedra). It's something I saw at Lead Adventure Forum and I really like it. As these minis have the metal tag no more, there is no need for slotta bases. A little bit minimalist, well, but I like innovating. Thanks for the idea, Elbows!
There is a hole in the mound. I wanted to sculpt some weird lizard or something, but I've been unsuccessful so far. I might give it another try at some point in the future.
Acoording to official background, Carcharodons are extremely pale, as descendenas of the Raven Guard, and have deep, dark eyes with almost no sclera. Just like sharks, how original. Ahem. I simply ignored that and painted him with tanned skin; I didn't dare to paint Maori tattoos on his face, the risk of screwing it all was too high.

Talking about the Maori inspiration for the Carcharodons, I painted a Tiki on the kneepad. It's a symbol of the first man, the relation between men and gods; I thought it might be appropiate for the guy with the magic powers.

In a Disney movie it would totally speak. Now you may be humming the Moana songs

I also mase some other Maori inspired decorations, but didn't want to overdo the mini. The armour looks mildly worn, as it is the general aspect I want this force to have.
Yup, I'm the Librarian. No, not the one from the movies. Give that book back, you scoundrel!
I also replaced the Captain's base, so here you have them both:

Space Maorines!

This is it for today. But it has started! From now on you can expect the whole set of Space Hulk termies to be desecrated and converted into towering realscale badasses. More to come soon(ish)!

18 comments:

  1. Looks good. Very nicely converted and painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was just a try to see what can be done with these minis. I may dare to do something more complicated with the others :)

      Delete
  2. Looks brilliant!!
    I actually come here expecting to see a shark in SPAAAACEEEEE! Man I need my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool mate, the tribal art work is just superb! I’m slightly distracted by the shoulder pads, which scream ‘terminator’ rather than ‘true-scale’ to me, but that’s just me, and it is still an excellent mini :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know what you mean, as I faced that dilemma. This mini is particularly broad shouldered, but I think I can make it less evident on the next minis I'm working on. Or at least I hope so!
      I'll keep using the termie shoulder pads as I think it's the easier way to make this happen, but I'll try to make the minis look properly scaled marines :)

      Delete
  4. That really is very clever indeed. I wouldn't have thought it was possible to adapt the terminator armour into recognisable standard power armour, but it looks far simpler than I could have imagined. The paint job is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I saw the sprues I thought it was worth a try. This plastic is harder than the regular one GW use on their minis and will pose a challenge on some terminators, but hey, this silliness is all about challenges :D

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm already working on more ;)

      Delete
  6. genial!
    Te ha quedado realmente bien! enhorabuena :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Creo que todavรญa no soy consciente del lรญo en el que me he metido... :D

      Delete
  7. Amazing work mate! I love what you’ve done with this model! Too stiff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I have some fun ideas for upcoming models, but I still have to see if I'm capable of turning them into reality, hehe.

      Delete
  8. He looks great painted up ... yet another cool conversion Suber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was the easy one for the test. Now it really starts... :)

      Delete
  9. He looks great, a very nice conversion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It encouraged me to take more risks for future conversions. I'm working on that!

      Delete